Since I know that a lot of ladies on here like their Wii Fit, I thought I’d put together a list of some of the games out there that are great for getting you in shape while having fun. I’ll include ones that I’ve tried and liked, ones that I want, ones I haven’t tried that look like they have potential, and ones that are coming out soon.
Here are a list of games that I’ve tried that have great workout potential.
• Wii Fit. Duh. I don’t need to get into this at all, because you all know what it does. It is a good tool to get you on track, I think, but I don’t use it as much as I used to, truthfully.
• Gold’s Gym Cardio Workout. I can’t say enough for it… go read my other blog. It is great if you like boxing – I do. Just ask the Chick Chat gangstas. I mean…
• Pirates of the Caribbean. Ok, don’t laugh. This game is super hard, but maybe I’m standing there sweating because I get too into it. You can’t play this one sitting down. Bad pirates surround you and you’re in a constant sword fight…. No way you can do it sitting down. Swords… boxing… is anyone noticing a trend here?
• Dancing with the Stars. I’ve tried this… it’s not really that great for a workout, but it does get you off of your butt and moving a little. I haven’t tried the second one yet. Think Dance Dance Revolution adapted.
Here are some games that I have not tried yet, but are on my wishlist:
• My Fitness Coach. This one has great reviews on Amazon. While it does not utilize the balance board, you probably don’t need it. It offers a whole range from flexibility, cardio, and strength, and you can let it know what equipment you have available. It says it has over 500 exercises and I’m dying to try. I’ll be getting this soon and will be posting a review for you all!
• We Cheer. Don’t laugh. Have you ever seen a fat cheerleader? (Yeah, I have, too… but go with me for the purpose of this example.) On Amazon, there are gushing reviews from straight men who use this to get fit. Hey, I’ll give it a shot.
Here are some games that look like they’d give you a good workout, but I probably wouldn’t get them myself:
• Active Life Outdoor Challenge. I’ve heard great things about this one. You need a special mat to use this which is part of the reason I won’t be getting it. I have way too many a la cartes as it is.
• We Ski. Utilizes the balance board. Gets you of the couch. I think it’s not really a fitness game per se, but it is a good thing to get you moving.
Games released soon that I plan on buying:
• EA Sports Interactive. This one looks interesting, if not a touch more expensive thatn I’d like. It comes with a strap that you can put around your thigh to hold the wiimote while you move, and it also comes with a resistance band to enhance your workout. It comes out May 19, and it has a 30 day challenge you can take part in. I’ll be doing it, as I have it preordered, and I will keep you posted.
Games you shouldn’t bother with:
• Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009. UGH. NO NO NO. This game is awful, don’t waste your money. Once you figure out the controls, it isn’t as bad as it looks, but you spend so much time running in place, it is tedious, monotonous, and really lackluster compared to what you might expect from such a whipcracker.
Now, I know I’m not a video game expert, but I think this selection is a great place to start. If I’ve missed any games that you think provide a good workout to get you looking your finest, definitely leave suggestions in the comments!